Wednesday 12 August 2015

Reflection 3, Week 4

Exciting news, this week on my blog I look closely at the SAMR model and link you to my new website which discusses the ENHANCEMENT phase of the model.  I know you can't wait to have a look at it so without further ado...click on the image below to take you to my Weebly page.

To make this Weebly, I first had to ensure the web address was available then I could choose the template I wanted and add text, images and links to videos and other web pages.  Here is an image of the header on my webpage click on it to go over to my Weebly page..


For all of the advantages of using Weebly in the classroom click here.  Personally I find Weebly very easy to use, there are templates for various pages and it is fairly self explanatory.  Uploading photos to the site was easy, I made sure they were jpeg files which are smaller in size than other types of images such as .png.  I even resized a photo using paint which was relatively painless too.  I will demonstrate how to do this in a short video later in today's blog.

I have used Weebly for several assignments during my years at CQU , so I am becoming more well versed in the usage of the site.  Personally I think  a Weebly is fine for classroom use as it is easy to set up; the teacher has control over it and can set passwords for each page if the whole class has a webpage each.  It's a great way of showing what is going on in your class and the teacher can give parents and other interested parties access to the site.

In the SAMR model the use of a website would be part of the Transformation levels of the ladder in the Modification step.  The task is modified to where the learner is uploading their information and research to a website rather than the use of a word document or posting in google docs or dropbox for collaboration with other students.  A website can have public access and educators can allow for feedback to be posted to the site or an email address associated with the site.

Podcast
Playing with the Group 1 tools has been fun and frustrating!  I decided to make a podcast...should be easy enough right!  I recorded it on my voice recorder on my iphone and then emailed it to myself.  Easy!  I then downloaded it to my laptop...so far so good.  Opened Blogger and tried to upload it (ha!) of course it's not the right format and I need to convert it to an mp3 for downloading.  NOT SO EASY!  I then found out I had to download a converter, I chose Adobe Media Converter, which is apparently according to Google sources easy to use!!  Well it took quite a while to download and I did get frustrated with that.  So if you do decide to lay down a podcast make sure you have all of the correct software first.  Click on the picture to hear my fabulous podcast...be aware I made the podcast before trying to upload it...so some of the information may not be correct.


Source: Google Images





Images
Since I had no major dramas making the video blog last week I thought I'd give it a go again this week.  Oh Boy!!! another frustration!! I could not find the file once I had recorded and saved it...It took quite a while to find and then I had to download Format Factory to change the format from an mp4 to and avi.  Once I downloaded the app it wasn't too hard to change it over and I made sure I changed the file destination to something that I would remember. It's only a short video about resizing an image.  I do enjoy using the video app so I think I'll keep on playing with it to see what else I can do with it.  




Feelings... So this week, the group one tools, while frustrating were interesting.  Of course with practice everything  becomes easier so I will keep on practicing.  

Thinking about working safely, legally and ethically when it comes to choosing images from the web for a task would need to be well thought out first by the educator and there would need to be adequate supervision and parameters set in place for web content.  The terms used for searching would need to be very specific.  Safety nets would need to be set in the settings of the network.  Alternatively the educator could have images which students are permitted to use previously downloaded so there is no need for students to access the internet to find material.  

So until next week when I explore group 2 tools

Source: Google Images



References
Brubaker, J. (2013). SAMR: Model, Metaphor, Mistakes. Retrieved from Tech Tips for Education: http://techtipsedu.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/samr-model-metaphor-mistakes.htmlGerstein, J. (2014). User Generated Education. Retrieved from Wordpress: https://usergeneratededucation.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/samr-as-a-framework-for-moving-towards-education-3-0/

Schrock, K. (2013). SAMR and Bloom. Retrieved from Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything: http://www.schrockguide.net/samr.html

No comments:

Post a Comment