Tuesday 25 August 2015

Reflection 4 Week 5

This week was all about the Group 3 tools.  I decided to use a PowerPoint as they are reasonably easily accessed and most schools will have tools that a PowerPoint can be created on.

I decided to see how I could use a PowerPoint to demonstrate the various levels of the SAMR model and where a PowerPoint might be utilised at each level.

So I started off with something very simple and added to the task with different SAMR tools at each level, such as sending it to a WIKI or adding video and links to other websites for further discussion. I narrated my main PowerPoint and videoed it to enable me to demonstrate how to use the various levels of SAMR.  I'll add it in here so you can see how it works.



As you can see I am enjoying the video tool, I like the ease of being able to vocalise my thoughts and demonstrate how to do things.

Things to think about

Using tools involving internet usage can present many problems, so it is important to ensure you have covered your bases as a teacher.  Working safely, legally and ethically should constantly be at the forefront of planning. Privacy settings need to be high; websites used need to have your approval before allowing the students to access them.  My suggestion is to demonstrate first the sites they are allowed to use and give them the web addresses.  

SAMR

SAMR allows the teacher to think outside of the box when it comes to tasks and assessment pieces.  Creating task sheets can become more in depth, however it is important to remember this is not just about using digital tools, it is about learning from the experiences and the learning that will take place as a result of using those tools.  


Just some of the uses for a PowerPoint in the classroom

My thoughts

As I discussed in my video, PowerPoints can be boring if they are not used properly and there are so many tools about now to make using them so much more interesting for students at all levels.  I think it is a matter of the teacher letting go of the reigns and allowing students to become engaged and explore and create. 
Obviously the younger the student the more limited the PowerPoint will be as their understanding of the technology is not yet developed.  Using the tools with them in the classroom and allowing them to become familiar with the tools gradually will be a great advantage as they advance throughout schooling.  These skills can be taught from a young age, it can be as simple as re-writing a story using a PowerPoint instead of pencil and paper or for even younger students using the tool to add photographs.  These types of activities can be labour intensive with younger grades and aides and parent help would be a necessity, however as students progress and their confidence grows so will their strengths and understanding of the advantages of adding these digital tools to their repertoire.



Source: Google Images


No comments:

Post a Comment